There has been controversy on the topic of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) for the last 15 years. Negative attitudes have drastically dominated the media since 2002. Combined with the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) study that was halted three years ago because of health risks, the controversy has caused confusion for women trying to make a informed decisions about their health.
Let’s shed a little light on the confusion. First, the WHI study and the subsequent media reports about HRT are based on Commercial Conventional HRT only. The reports are based on findings about the combed use of conjugated estrogens and medroxyprogesterone (called PremPro). Thus, when you hear about HRT in the news, this is what is being referring to.
There are alternatives. Over-the-counter, there are products containing phytoestrogens, and topical products containing low-dose progesterone. These will provide temporary relief of PMS, perimenopausal, and menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes, mood swings, night sweats, and low energy. Long-term benefits and improved health can be achieved through Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, a prescription alternative.
What is Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) is a prescription alternative to conventional hormone replacement therapy.
Bioidentical medications are plant-derived, and chemically changed in a laboratory until they are identical to what your body would naturally produce. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy is customizable; in other words, it can be adjusted to fit your needs, unlike conventional Hormones Replacement Therapy, which has a few standard dosage strengths.
What are the goals of Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
- Alleviate symptoms caused by the natural decrease in hormone production in the body, such as low energy, low sex drive, hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings.
- Re-establish the individual’s hormonal balance and health.
- Provide protective benefits that were originally provided by the body’s naturally occurring hormones
What are the benefits of Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy offers a number of health-related benefits:
- Help in the prevention of Osteoporosis and restoration of bone strength
- Protection against heart disease and stroke
- Reduced hot flashes and reduced vaginal dryness
- Muscle mass and strength are better maintained
- Improvement in cholesterol levels
- Reduced risk of depression
- Reduced risk of breast and endometrial cancer
- Improved sex drive
- Prevention of senility and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Improved sleep
- Better mood, concentration, and memory become better
- Far fewer unwanted effects than synthetic hormones
Dr. Blaine S. Purcell was trained in the pellet bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT).